The Council of International Fellowship (CIF) provides social workers and related human services professionals development and training through intercultural exchange, to promote international understanding and world peace.
CIF offers international exchange programs for social workers from around the world. The goal of the exchange is to give participants an understanding of the social, economical and cultural conditions of the country they visit. Throughout Africa, Asia, Europe, Middle East, North and South America and Oceania more than 30 countries have established National Branches.
Exchange Programs for Australian Social Workers
CIF Australia is a non-profit voluntary organisation supporting Australian social workers to gain professional development opportunities through the CIF network. A typical international exchange program offers:
- Introduction to another culture.
- Opportunity to meet social work professionals from around the world.
- Orientation to another local social welfare system.
- Opportunity to be part of typical family life and customs while aboard.
- Exposure to field work and professional development experiences in another country.
- Participation in the evaluation of your chosen CIF program.
CIF Australia does not currently offer inbound exchange programs for social workers from other countries wishing to visit Australia.
Taking the Next Step
Check your eligibility
In order to apply you must be:
- A member of CIF Australia (download membership form), and commit to be an active member of CIF Australia for at least 2 years after returning from your exchange.
- A professionally qualified social worker or in another social work related profession with at least three years experience.
- Employed as a social worker or in another social work related profession.
- Involved in direct service delivery with clients.
- Able to speak and understanding English fluently or the program language of the country you choose to visit.
Find your program
- All CIF exchange programs are listed on the CIF International website.
- Find more information about the host countries you are interested in by following the links to individual National Branch websites.
- Information about the core program in the USA is available from CIPUSA.
- The registration fee for individual exchange programs is specified by the host country. This fee covers the costs of your activities and room and board while on exchange. Participants are responsible for covering their own travel costs to and from the exchange program, visa application costs if applicable, and for the costs of travel insurance including third party liability and health.
- If you have further questions, contact us.
Complete your application
- Download the application form.
- Fill it in and make sure to indicate your country of choice at the top of the form.
- Email CIF Australia your application together with a scanned passport photo. If you are applying for more than one program please complete a separate application form for each country and clearly indicate your order of preference. Applications must be sent to us at least 2 months prior to the closing date of the host country. Do not send your application directly to the host country as it will be sent back to Australia which may delay the process.
- CIF Australia will contact you for an interview.
- You will receive written notification within 1 month after the closing date if you have been accepted.